Writing Coach Services
Are you working on a writing project and need some help? Not sure if you need a writing coach? Here are a few things you should know about a writing coach.
A Writing Coach can help you
- organize your thoughts
- set measurable and achievable goals
- stay focused
- find motivation
- refine your project
- become a better writer
- become a published author
What is Writing Coaching?
A Writing Coach is a specialized consultant that helps writers navigate their writing projects. Often, a Writing Coach has experience in editing and publishing fields and is an experienced consultant or project manager. Many first-time authors need a little help getting their projects from notes to drafts to published manuscripts. Others who benefit from a Writing coach include students, entrepreneurs, marketers, promoters, and even established authors.
How does Writing Coaching work?
As a Writing coach, I meet with my clients on a regular basis to set goals and hold them accountable. Most meetings are working meetings that may include writing exercises, strategic planning, software implementation, editing, feedback, and more.
Examples of Work
We Walk Together: My Journey Through Breast Cancer Paperback – June 17, 2017
We Walk Together is an example of a book that came to completion with the help of an Individual Writing Coach. Diane came to me with an idea to format a blog she had kept to journal her experience through breast cancer into a book. We worked together for approximately 30 months to complete this passion project while she also worked full time as a teacher. As a Writing Coach, I worked with her to complete the project at her own pace. These are some of the specific things I helped with:
- Organizing her notes and current writing into a basic manuscript format
- Recommending software and customizing settings that worked best with her personal writing needs
- Transforming personal reflections into content geared toward a specific audience
- Strategically formatting content into Chapters, Sections, and Sub-Sections
- Formatting the final manuscript
- Identifying Editors and Publishing contacts
- Identifying and Communicating with Booksellers and other retail space
- Writing a Pitch Letter for Public Speaking Opportunities
- and much more.
You can find out more about this book and read reviews: We Walk Together.
Hole In The Head, A Life Revealed Hardcover – January 1, 2012
Hole in the Head was the brainchild of Wilbur Smith. He had a burning desire to tell the story of an elderly gentleman in his community who it turns out had experienced unforgivable racism and atrocious experimentation as a child. Wilbur approached me to help organize his writing, and to turn his notes from interviews and reflections into a publishable manuscript. These are some of the specific things I worked on:
- Organizing notes, interviews, and video data
- Pulling together rough drafts into formal storytelling
- Developing fluid language that painted a picture and accurately characterized the testimonials in an easy to read the story
- Making each chapter tell a story that contributed to the overarching theme of the project
- and much more.
You can find out more about this book and read reviews: Hole in the Head.
What people say about my Writing Coach Service
- “Erica is a client-concerned businesswoman who knows her stuff. She is well prepared and equipped to assist people in their writing pursuits, whatever they may be. I trust Erica with my personal writing and find her extremely reliable in one-on-one meetings as well as in correspondence. I highly recommend Erica for any editorial/writing endeavors.” Frances Suderman, Creative Writer (2009)
- “In working with Erica as my editor helped me to grow as a writer. Her support, direction, and compassion always encouraged me to strive to be better than what I thought I could be as a writer. She was definitely an inspiration.” Marc Katz, President, Hearts of Joy Senior Care Inc. (2008)
- “Erica Monge is, no contest, the strongest editor I've ever had, and I've written for a heap of editors and publications! I cannot think of a better editor, writing coach or businesswoman. Erica's dedication to her staff, clients, and subscribers was rare, unique, and inspiring. Erica is a master at helping you to get to the next level, as a writer, with your document or publication, or with your creative needs. Simply put: Erica Monge is the very best!” Jamise Liddell, Film Critic, Lifestyle Entertainment Reporter, Arizona Christian News (2008)
- “Erica is an excellent writer, editor and leader. Her organizational skills and her ability to handle multiple projects at once are remarkable. She helped give me the knowledge I needed to succeed as a writer and a professional. I am very thankful for her direction and would work with her again any day. She is a joy.” Aubrey (Schneider) Blankenship, Associate Editor, Event Solutions Magazine (2008)
- "Your contribution to July's 'Fidelity' edition helped make it one of our most popular issues." Randy Walter, Editor, Manna (2008)
How to get started
To get started, schedule a 15-minute consultation by clicking below.